Home TRENDING Inquest into death of former Nyeri governor Wahome Gakuru halted

Inquest into death of former Nyeri governor Wahome Gakuru halted

On Tuesday, the inquest into the death of former Nyeri governor Wahome Gakuru was halted by the High Court, which granted temporary orders suspending the proceedings. The inquest could not resume, according to Nyeri Chief Magistrate Francis Andayi, because Governor Mutahi Kahiga and Mathira MP Rigathi Gachagua had obtained orders barring their summons to appear. Last month, a court determined that the two were crucial witnesses in the inquest.

They were ordered to appear in court alongside Nyeri Chief of Staff Paul Wambugu and County Secretary Benjamin Gachichio. The four, however, sought a review of the verdict from High Court Judge Florence Muchemi through their lawyer Wahome Gikonyo. Prosecutors, led by Mr Mwangi Gachanja, claimed the case could not proceed because the file containing the proceedings was unavailable. He said that following the application for a review of the verdict, Justice Muchemi had ordered that the file be brought to him. “The action before the High Court is already proceeding, and the state’s response to the application will be heard on April 5,” he stated.
Despite the fact that Mr Gakuru’s family lawyer, Martha Waweru, claimed she was uninformed of the High Court complaint and opposed the move for review, Magistrate Andayi ordered that the inquest be postponed pending the application’s hearing. “It will not be proper to resist the High Court’s order to halt the proceedings pending the hearing of the suit before it,” he said.
Facebook Comments Box

Previous articleA Nairobi househelp has been imprisoned for two years after pleading guilty to stealing her employer’s KSh 460,000
Next articleEight UN peacekeepers killed in helicopter crash in DR Congo.