Home TRENDING NORMAL SERVICES resume at City Hall after five-hour standoff as striking workers...

NORMAL SERVICES resume at City Hall after five-hour standoff as striking workers and Nairobi County government announce truce.

After reaching an agreement with the Nairobi County government to terminate a five-hour stalemate that began Tuesday morning, normal activities were resumed at City Hall. After a two-hour meeting with officials, the staff union reopened the City Hall and City Hall Annex entrances. More than 12,000 workers had walked off the job in protest over late payment and bad working conditions, which included broken elevators and toilets, a lack of consistent water supply, and uncollected rubbish.

After the meeting, Festus Ngari, secretary-general of the Kenya County Government Workers Union Nairobi branch, stated they had reached an agreement with Governor Ann Kananu’s government, giving them until Friday to address their issues. We did link the two buildings today, but after talking with the governor’s representatives, we came to an agreement on three main items, said Mr Ngari. He said the arrangement includes paying a service provider Sh 4 million to restore lifts by Friday. For the past five months, the lifts have been broken. The county government would assure a steady supply of water for greater cleanliness and improvement at City Hall and City Hall Annex buildings, as well as adequate maintenance of all restrooms.
The cease-fire stipulated that none of the striking workers would be harmed. As a result of the Employment Act and Occupational Health and Safety, he stated that the employer must provide a better working environment for the employees. Dominic Odera, the county’s director of administration, reiterated Mr. Ngari’s remarks, adding that the county would address the workers’ issues. He stated, “We agreed to have a dialogue, we met, and I want to ensure the workers that their issues will be addressed.”
Facebook Comments Box

Previous articleIEBC pushes hearing on vote rigging claims by Murang’a Women Rep Sabina Chege to March 8 after she was hospitalized.